Friday, January 30, 2015

Who Wants To Live A Million Years Questions


1.It took one generation for me to win the "who wants to live a million years" game. It only took one try for me to win the game because I guessed which traits would be the most helpful. This is similar to a real species because, when a species has traits that work well with their environment, they will benefit and live longer as a species.


2.The phenotypes I used the first time I played the game were long legs, fur, and the long neck. I chose these traits because they seemed like things the game would require for the creatures to live longer. I assumed that there would be a problem with the weather and food so I gave my creatures traits that would help them overcome these possible problems. It turned out that I was correct in my assumption and these were the traits that helped my creatures survive. As I stated earlier,  I believe that these were the things that helped them to reach the food, run from things that posed a possible threat toward my creatures, and to keep them warm in the winter.  

3.I think that this population would be greatly affected by genetic drift because it would either help the species to move forward and evolve or give them a weakness.
I saw the effects of genetic drift in my species when something would wipe out all but a couple of the creatures and then suddenly the new group would mostly have their traits.


4.The color allele seemed to be the dominant trait because when one of the creatures was red or green, over time all of the creatures seemed to change to that color. The recessive trait seemed to be the short neck because the species neck's grew longer after a while.

5.(a) cold conditions; fur
  (b) hot conditions; less fur
  (c) new large predator on the scene; stripes, long legs
  (d) new tall food source; long neck
6. To improve this simulation I would have more problems for the species to encounter, more phenotype options, and increase the time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment